The opinions expressed are those of our contributing readers.
RVServiceReviews.com has no means and is unable to make any determination about the experience, competence,
integrity, or honesty of any of its contributors. We encourage our readers to seek a variety of
information resources, and to make whatever additional and independent investigation may be necessary or
appropriate before making any commitments or taking any steps in reliance on any information which is
posted at this site.
If you are the service provider and want to respond to this review send an email to admin@RVServiceReviews.com.
Please provide the name of your company, as it appears on the review, the date of service provided by the reviewer and
the explanation of the problem from your perspective.
Date of Service:
Work Done on:
Class A - Diesel
Replaced defective Leece-Neville 160 amp alternator with 200 amp Leece-Neville alternator. Replaced leaking coolant surge tank with new tank, customer
Evaluation of Service Performed:
I set up the appointment for 10 am to have them install a new 200 amp Leece-Neville alternator and a new coolant surge tank. Initially they estimated the
job to be a little over 2 hours to complete. It was pretty straight forward; remove the surge tank and then the alternator. Replace the alternator followed by
the surge tank.
The first set back was the positive cable was not long enough to reach the stud on the new alternator so they at first said that they would have to make up
a new cable which would be additional labor plus parts. OK, but I checked back a little while later and the tech found that the existing cable was plenty
long enough as it had been coiled up and zip-tied to the block. Cut the zip-tie and he had plenty of length to reach the stud. Installed the surge tank and
refilled the coolant. The tech hooked the cables back up to the batteries and reset the house and chassis battery cut-off switches. When I went to start the
engine there was no power to the chassis. He suggested a fuse and I said are you sure that the chassis switch really clicked back on? He said that he
checked it and stated yes. Well after hours of troubleshooting which took three people and I was not allowed to participate in, they finally announced that
my chassis battery cut-off switch was defective. I told them that I had suggested that from the very beginning. So I had them bypass the switch and started
the engine. Now the tech noticed a coolant leak coming from the lower large hose at the bottom of the coolant surge tank. He attempted to tighten up the
clamp and broke it. He replaced it with a new one but the leak continued. He finally decided to replace the hose and had to drain all of the coolant first to
remove the hose. Now it was getting late so that service tech went home and handed it off to another one. Once the coolant had drained and the new hose
replaced plus the coolant added back into the engine, he started the engine and the same leak was observed. This tech then noticed that the leak was actually coming from one of the hoses on top and running down the back of the tank to the hose on the bottom. He then tightened up the hose clamp on
top and no more leak.
I finally got out of there sometime after 6 pm when it should have been done by 1 pm or so. Plus I was charged for all of the trouble shooting time which
was unnecessary and for the labor and parts for a new coolant hose which was unnecessary.
Bottom-line, I am NOT a happy camper with this Cummins shop in Anchorage. This should have been an easy replacement for a few hundred dollars but
ended up costing me nearly $1000 dollars due to their mistakes and screw-ups.